Friday, March 19, 2010

Perhaps "Plant of the Week" was too ambitious...

So, obviously, I'm not updating my blog nearly enough to call it "plant of the week."  So here's a "plant of the when-the-mood-strikes."

Spring has definitely sprung in our neck of the woods, so perhaps you'll be wanting to do a bit of planting.  I've been testing out this plant in my garden for a few months now, and I have to say, I really, really like it!

It's a Euphorbia, which a huge genus of plants that can look entirely different from each other.  Some get quite large.  This one, stays compact.  Most, if not all, get some form of this unique flower.

I introduce to you, "Euphorbia efanthia"


 I put this plant in last Fall from a 4" pot.   They are now about 2'x2'.  As you can see they get these really cool lime green flowers.  The leaves are dark green and in the fall/winter they are edged in purple.  They like full sun.  The one in part-shade is smaller than the others.  They can tolerate dry conditions.  Our cold winter also didn't bother them at all.

The details:
Blooms Spring to early Summer
Zones: USDA 4-11; hardy to -20F
Height: Medium: 14-20"
Water: Dry to Normal
Light: Full Sun to Part Shade
Features: Drought Tolerant; Heat Tolerant; Deer Resistant

No comments: